Steven Covey is the author of the book, The 8th Habit of Highly Effective People. The book is a self-development book that teaches how individuals can leverage and master personal habits to improving their growth. The book is a continuation of his book, 7 Habits of highly effective people.To help our understanding on what the 8th Habit of highly effective people is, it will be beneficial for us to know what the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People are.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Be Proactive
- Begin with the End in Mind
- Put First Things First
- Think Win-Win
- Seek First to Understand, Than to Be Understood
- Sharpen the Saw
Basically, the 8th Habit of Highly effective people talks on what next to do after training yourself to master the 7 Habits of highly effective people. This habit talks on first finding your voice, and then inspiring others to find theirs. In this post, I will be sharing 30 inspiring things I learned from the book that will be very beneficial to you, your career, work, business, family and community at large.
30 Lessons From 8th Habit of Highly Effective People
The Mindset to inspiring others
- To be able to inspire others to greatness, your passion and talent should be channeled at solving needs.
- You are a solution to the worlds’ problem, stop staying aback, face your work, and face forward.
- In life, to be able to inspire others, you need to treat humans as humans and not as things/ objects.
- Before you can inspire others, you yourself must first be inspired from within.
- The 8th Habit of Highly effective people talks on how to work cooperatively with others, appreciate individual’s differences even in a dynamic environment.
Maximizing your potential
- The path to greatness is one that maximizes your potential to the fullest.
- The easier route seldom produces greatness.
- There are problems around you that need solutions, all you need do is open your eyes to be able to see them, and know what to do.
- Unleashing your potential makes you a super star.
- As humans, we must never stop exploring ourselves and our potentials.
Discovering your talent
- In forming a habit, you need knowledge, skill and attitude.
- Purpose is an exhibition of talent displayed
- Use your known talents to unlock the other areas you are gifted at.
- Intuition doesn’t fall from the sky, it comes when you put your mind to work.
- You need burning passion to fulfill your dreams.
Growing your career
- To grow in your career, you need to take people relationship very seriously. No one is un-important.
- Your talent is also required for you to perform excellently well on your job.
- To really effect dynamic changes in your career, you need to be ready to challenge the norm.
Finding your voice
- Selfless service to humanity is a good way to find your own voice.
- To find your voice, love genuinely, give freely, be a blessing.
- You need to be true to yourself to recognize your uniqueness. Never live a double life.
- The four types of intelligence will help you find your voice: Physical, Emotional, Mental and Spiritual intelligence. Of all this type of intelligence, the spiritual intelligence is the most important. It controls all other types of intelligence.
- The best form of inspiration to finding your voice comes from within you, you must be able to self-inspire yourself.
- It is what you apply that you will enjoy the benefit. If you apply the 8th habit of highly effective people, you will reap the dividend that comes with it.
- Integrity also means being true to yourself.
- To inspire others to find their voice, you need to first find your own voice.
- The best form of inspiration is that you help people do things themselves.
- To keep a relationship working, you need to communicate and sacrifice.
- In communication, seek to understand other people’s point even as you want to be understood.
- Growth is gradual, it is through a process, and a well thought and executed one. If you want growth in any area, be deliberate about it.
Cultivating the 8th Habit of Highly Effective people won’t come overnight, it will take a continuous process of you knowing yourself, finding your voice and then proceeding to helping others find theirs. In whatever space you find yourself, strive to becoming the best of yourself, because you and I have a responsibility to inspire each other to greatness.
I leave you with my favorite quote ” Love God, Serve Humanity”