The year 2018 has been a very eventful one for me, from writing more to some other significant changes that I have experienced. Well I won’t say I know how best to live this life, but I am learning new things every day. One of the very things I have learned lately that has been of tremendous impact to my personal development journey is the importance of GOAL SETTING. I realize that this singular act is what differentiates the “Good” from the “Great”.
If indeed goal setting is that important, why won’t anyone take advantage of it? I want to think that for some, the phrase ” Goal setting” sounds very vague to their hearing or probably they just don’t know how or where to begin from. But for others that understand this principle and are maximizing it, I want to ask – how market? (In my Igbo tone).
For the benefit of the first class mentioned, this post will be defining the very basics of what a goal is and how to set one.
What is a Goal?
A goal is an expected outcome or result from taking an action within a given time frame. It is an expectation, a desire and what needs to be achieved.
What then is Goal setting?
Goal setting is a powerful process of thinking about your ideal future, and for motivating yourself to turn your vision of this future into reality. Simply put, it is the process of ”creating goals”.
This should be borne in mind when setting goals:
- It is an act and not a thought.
- It is not a difficult thing to do, it is what everyone and anyone can do.
- It is essential for seeing drastic improvements or changes in any area of one’s life.
How then can you set Goals?
- Create time to review different aspects of your life: The best gift you can give yourself is a candid evaluation of yourself. Is there an area you should work on, is there something you need to see improvement? Then that should be a goal.
- Journal the Goals you want to achieve within a given time frame in: Don’t keep a goal in the head alone, also keep it in a journal. The Holy book says write the vision down and make it plain.
- Craft out doable plans to achieving your goal: You need a good game plan to achieve your goal. To do so, create a list like this.
- What needs to be done?
- Who do I need to talk to?
- What do I need to read on?
- What personal habit do I need to awaken or deal with?
4. Let your goals be realistic. You know yourself best and what your abilities are. Don’t set goals based on miracles or by keeping false expectations, keep it simple. Set goals that are realistic.
I hope this list provides a good guide to helping you set doable life goals. I would love to know how this post was useful to you in the comment section below.
PS: If you need personal help on how best to set your Goals, you can send me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, I will be so glad to walk you through the process.
Hoping to hear from you.