A lot of emphasis is placed on education and the need to get a degree, but to what end I ask, other than landing a dream job.
The singular reason most of us went to school was to be educated and get a job upon graduation, not just a job but a fantastic one. Some get the fantastic job at the snap of their finger immediately they are out of school, others struggles with the realities of life, sending well packaged CV to several firms without even getting called for any interview (Sighs).
With some being unsure of how to get into the Job space, many fall for these commonly told myths :
- There are no Jobs out there.
- It’s only those with international degrees that get the fantastic job.
- I need to be highly connected to land a high paying job.
- Since I didn’t finish with a very high-grade from the University, I don’t stand a chance of getting a fantastic job.
- You only need some extra special prayers to land a fantastic job (really)?
The truth is that all the above mentioned are myths and not realities. It will be insensitive of this post not to take into consideration the economic situation we find ourselves, but in it all, I hear stories and know of people who rise from the scratch to earning very fat salaries, and they are enjoying their jobs too!
So going forward, how well do you prepare yourself to getting your dream Job?
- Work on your mind to conceive having a fantastic job, if it’s what you desire, it can be your reality.
- Settle this in your mind: You might not get your dream job once you start working, but don’t get discouraged, give your best on whatever job you find to do.
- You need to trade off skills and learn new skills to fit into your dream job.
- Have the mind-set to perform, on a job and not just work to earn money.
- When you want a job, you go all out for it, don’t play small.
So what are the processes involved in securing your dream job.
- Know what you want and the industry and firm you will like to work in.
- Research on the top trending skills to fit into that industry. Do your homework well.
- Get a list of at least 5 firms you will like to work at.
- Check LinkedIn profile of staffs that work at those firm, start following them actively, follow their social media handles, start reading and commenting on their post. You are basically familiarizing yourself with your desired colleagues.
- Look out for contact details of the Hiring managers of the firm i.e their company’s email address.
- Prepare your cover letter and CV well to fit into the organization’s requirement (You need to check online on how best to structure your CV and cover letter to fit into that industry).
- Continue to check the firm’s website for job openings and be at alert!
- Apply for Internship or volunteer roles for firms in your dream industry.
- Socialise well with people and build networks. You never can tell, your next door neighbor may be the link to that Job opening you desire.
I hope this list provides a guide on answering the question on being employable as well as help you prepare to getting your dream Job!
So make that move today!